Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Hat, a Hat! My Kingdom for a Hat! or was that a Horse?

     Sorry, Shakespeare.  I've been knitting hats lately which are more of a challenge shape-wise than scarves, although I keep a scarf going, too.  Many hats are knit in the round using circular needles and double point needles - a technique that is still a challenge for me.  This hat: Super Easy Chullo Hat, was knit flat and then seamed.  It can also be knit in the round.  The pattern can be found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/super-easy-chullo-2 

     The next two hats I knit using wool/cotton yarn I found at the thrift shop.  I love the texture - thick and thin and bumpy.  This hat was also knit flat and seamed.  Notice the cables.  This pattern can be found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bubbles-beanie

     For this hat I ventured into the realm of knitting in the round, even though it looks square at the top.  When worn the two pom poms stick out like little ears.  It's called Future Forestry Hat and can be found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/future-of-forestry-hat

     I've got two projects going now.  This is what a hat being knit in the round looks like. No seam.  It's called Perfect Fit Chemo Hat.  I'll post the finished product in a future blog.
    I'm also working on a scarf called Rib Rib Cable.  Sounds like something you would find on a menu - ribs with cable on the side.  I like this pattern because it's easy to remember and once you've mastered making cables, you realize they're easy but look impressive.  I also like this yarn that has flecks of other colors in it.  This is a Red Heart Super Saver acrylic yarn.

     Sometimes I enjoy knitting with cotton yarn making small projects like wash cloths.  There are a zillion patterns for these, some very intricate.  This is one is the traditional feather and fan pattern with a small scrubber in double moss stitch.  All of the above projects are going to the Eagles Christmas Bazaar in November.

     The vegetable garden is starting to die back although the tomato plants are still producing.  The pumpkins are showing more and more orange and you know about the Blue Hubbard Squash. 

 The flowers, however, are going strong, especially the geraniums which seem to be on a second bloom.  They're so easy to grow and just get bigger with more flowers. 

Who told Mother Nature to make pink?


     And finally faces only their mothers could love ... however, they are loved around here and spoiled.  Orson the Pound Dog, is my walking companion, has good manners, shakes hands, and loves food.
     Hunter, who thinks he's the alpha-dog only minds his manners with the Master Gardener, D, who is his owner.  However, he is my shadow when I venture into the back yard.  He has few  manners, couldn't take him for a walk because he would drag me down the street, and he also loves food and knows to "sit" so he will get a treat.
     That's it from this corner of the world.  My next blog will have pictures of my adventure in LA - more specifically Studio City where I'll be visiting my sister, C and my niece, D this weekend.  Look for my sister, C, as Gloria on the TV sitcom, SCRUBS.  Happy knitting and crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment