Tuesday, September 6, 2011

TAIL'S TALE, NEW SCARF, AND NEW ROSES

     Before I start the tail's tale, here's a photo of one of the Blue Hubbard squash growing in our garden next to a watermelon and bell peppers.  Now you can see the true size of mother nature's workings.  We are planning to open this one and cook it in sections.  That's as far as we've thought about what to do with this much squash. 
     On to the tail's tale.  Spaz saw his vet today to have the stitches taken out of is tail.   Unfortunately, it isn't healing exactly as planned, so out he came with a large wrapped bandage and another vet visit planned for next week. 
     He's caught on that getting in the cat carrier means a trip in the car to see someone who pokes and prods.  He yowls all the way there and home again.  Otherwise, he's content to sleep and eat, as usual.

     I have finished knitting Your Boyfriend's Scarf.  I think the colors work well for a man or boy.
The pattern is The Scrunchable Scarf found at: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scrunchable-scarf.  Another rib pattern I like is: The Go-To-Scarf at: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-go-to-scarf - aka "Uneven Rib"  Both patterns make a rib with more texture and scrunchiness that the usual k1, p1 rib.  More fun to knit, too. 
 
      I think knitters should experiment with their own stripe patterns.  I used one main color and three other colors for the stripes.  When I got to the middle of the scarf, I started the stripes in reverse order so when the scarf is hung side by side, the stripe colors matched up.  I used knitting worsted and size 9 needles.  So I hope some one's boyfriend will get this scarf as a Christmas gift - it's going to the Eagles Christmas Bazaar.

     The master gardener, D has been dividing flowering plants with rhizomes (tubers) and moving them to other places in the yard.  Otherwise they will keep multiplying in one spot.  He's also added two new rose bushes, long stemmed so when they bloom we can cut some and bring into the house.  Here's the yellow one - the pink I'll show you next time.  More garden in the next blog.  It's 97 degrees out today - HOT.  Everyone in the house but me, is taking a siesta.  No cooking tonight - sandwiches and deli potato salad. 

Until next time - knit on, and crochet, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment