Wednesday, July 20, 2011

PINK AND THE GARDEN

This is Esperanza (in Spanish means "hope") - requested by my sister, C.  She is dressed in pink, obviously, and accessorized in denim, to be extra up to date.  Her pink button heart symbolizes breast cancer awareness.  C and I are both breast cancer survivors.  More pink to come as we get closer to Breast Cancer Awareness month in October.

The garden continues to overflow it's fence with giant leaves and advancing vines.  Fertilizer works wonders.  
Japanese eggplant and Easter eggplant are going into a pot of ratatouille along with zucchini and yellow squash which grow inches overnight.
Now that the weather is getting hotter, we're hoping for more of these - red tomatoes. 
This bumpy creature is a Hubbard squash in it's early stages. 
And this watermelon sized baby will someday be a bright orange pumpkin.  

I'm amazed by the ability of some plant seeds to lie dormant all winter and then with some water and sun, come to life in the summer.  This is a volunteer gourd plant whose seeds traveled in soil from the garden area, across the yard where it's now growing up our fence.  We'll see what it produces.  Right now it's a mystery.

My current knitting project is a red scarf for the Red Scarf Project.  Will have it finished for the next blog.  It's one of my favorite scarves to make because I use a variety of knit & purl stitches to make a highly textured fabric.  I'm still thinking about how to knit bomb my mail box. 


No comments:

Post a Comment