Friday, July 22, 2011

RED SCARF AND PIZZA

Here's another worthy knitting project for you knitters and crocheters, called the Red Scarf Project.  Information can be found here: http://fc2success.org/what-we-do/programs/red-scarf-project/  The project is part of Foster Care for Success - America's College Fund for Foster Youth.  These scarves are given to foster students who are entering college.  They can be any shade of red, 6 - 8 inches wide and about 60 inches long.  They need to be sent between September 1 and December 5 of each year along with notes of encouragement to these students.  This scarf is one of my favorite to make because I use a variety of stitches.  It's definitely not a boring scarf to make. 

The stitch patterns are from Knit & Purl - 250 stitches to knit edited by Erika Knight.  Because of copyrite  laws I can't reproduce the stitch instructions, but I can tell you which ones I used. Yarn used is Vanna's Choice "Brick" - size 9 needles.  I cast on 34 stitches and kept a two or three garter stitch selvage.  I knit four rows of garter stitch and then began the sections.  Section 1: Stockinette Stitch Triangles; Sect. 2: Double Fleck Stitch; Sect. 3: Tile Stitch; Sect. 4: Stockinette Stitch Check; Sect. 5: Divided Boxes; Sect. 6: Check Stitch; Sect. 7: Pennant Stitch; Sect. 8: Check Pattern; Sect. 9 Pique Triangles.  Each Section is about 6 1/2 inches long.  I love the variety of texture that can be make with the simple knit and purl stitches. 

I also had a first this week and that was the first time for making homemade pizza.  Usually I just call Papa Murphy's and get take home.  But now that I have time, I went for it.  The pizza was easy to make and tasted good or better the PM's.  I made the dough in my bread machine, cooked up the sauce, and already had pineapple, little ham slices, and Italian shredded cheese on hand.  I made two pizzas.  The recipes can be found here: http://www.food.com/recipe/pizza-hut-style-pizza-dough-bread-machine-51209 for the dough; and here for the sauce:

Or you can go to http://www.food.com/ and browse the pizza recipes. Yum!
Now that I have finished the pink bear and the red scarf, I'm going to start working on my mailbox knit bomb.  I'll let you see how it turns out.  Knit on!




No comments:

Post a Comment