Wednesday, August 17, 2011

RELAXING SUMMER DAY

Here it is August 17.  School in Elk Creek starts next week and today I got a call from the teacher who is taking my place.  She wanted my e-mail address so she could send her questions about the English classes.  It was good to talk to her, and the conversation reaffirmed by reasons to retire.  I have my substitute teacher packet of information ready to take to the Glenn County Office of Education this week.  I'm looking forward to seeing my friends at EC,  but so so happy not to have to deal with lesson plans, grades, and general annoyances of school politics. The master gardener, D, is working out of town for awhile.  He'll be able to deliver the red and white Meathead hat to One-eyed Bob in Hayfork. I hope I get a photo of him wearing the hat.

My good friend, J, has just finished her Special Olympics scarf and is working on a second one.  When finished we'll mail our scarves to the Idaho collection location, since neither California nor Oregon are involved.  Her scarf is made with bulky soft yarn in garter stitch.  It's soft and squishy and will keep someones neck very warm.

The garden continues to produce plenty.  Master gardener, D, took peppers, squash, tomatoes, eggplant, and runner beans to his job since they we're planning a barbecue after work.  Everyone loves fresh food and now's the time to get it. Our tomato plants are loaded to the point of falling over.  They're also beginning to ripened so we have a variety to eat. 

Bell peppers, banana peppers, yellow squash and green beans.  Yum.
We have two new additions to the garden.  One is a miniature lemon tree, a cousin to the mini orange tree on the other side of the yard.

Also, a raspberry plant which should bush out and  climb the fence, and hopefully, produce some sweet raspberries. 

Every time I go into the back yard I have two helpers who eat grass and pee on bushes and trees.  I don't know why they're eating grass but they're both turning into grazers.  They're both pretty good at snapping at flies, too. With all these talents, its no wonder humans have dogs as pets!?!
Orson, Pound Dog

Hunter, King of the Universe

I have two knitting projects going that will be finished and into the next blog.  One is a purple and gold Willows High School colors scarf for the daughter of the friend who gave me the huge bag of yarn.  The others are hats for her young boys.  I'm thrilled to have all that yarn.  Thank you.
 If you knit or crochet, think about making a scarf for the 2012 Special Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment