Monday, August 22, 2011

Waiting for A T & T

I'm starting this blog knowing my Internet may go down at any time.  I'm waiting for an AT&T service person to come and get my 60% up to 100%.  There is a wait window from 8:00 am until 8:00 pm, so I'm here for the day, which is okay because I have some good photos stored up to show... knitting and garden, of course.

I've been knitting a few baby items for a far away friend who is expecting a baby in April.  I started a blanket but didn't like the results. I like the baby bibs and matching mini-washcloth a lot better.  Working with cotton yarn gives very satisfying results.
The original pattern, Baby Love Bib, is made with eyelets that create a heart in the middle of the bib.  The wash cloth is the traditional Granny's wash cloth.  The Baby Love Bib pattern can be found here:http://www.greasy.com/nittineedles/baby_love_bib_free_pattern.html

 This second bib is the same pattern but with a checkerboard pattern variation - five stitch blocks.  Since I have until April, I'm thinking of adding a pair of booties and a little hat.

Remember the huge bag of yarn I found on my door step?  I've created a scarf and hat so far from that stash as a thank you to D's friend, S who gave me the yarn.  She has a 16 year old daughter attending Willows High School and their colors are purple and gold.  I found just enough purple yarn to knit half the scarf and a lot of gold yarn. The yarn is worsted weight, and I used one of my favorite scarf patterns - Go To Scarf Pattern.  Cast on any number of stitches that can be divided by three.  Then knit two, purl 1 every row until the scarf is as long as you wish.  Here is the result - Go Honkers!
A hat came next because there are other children in the family, and I found a cool hat pattern knit on 2 normal needles - easy, called Random Striped Hat. The pattern can be found here: http://www.yarnart.50webs.com/randomstripedhat.htm  The young woman who created and wrote the pattern did an excellent job - easy to follow with photos along the way. 
 

GARDEN: The garden flowers are amazing.  This is the first year our sunflowers have come up.  They are a shorter version of the very tall sunflowers you usually see. The bees are in love.
Mr. Bee is on the top of the left side sunflower.  I had to step into the danger zone to get this photo. I didn't know sunflowers are so sweet ...and the colors.  Wow!  Bee heaven.
The Calla Lily below was given to D by his landscaper friend, C.  It was small so D snuggled it in next to other lilys not knowing it was related to Jack's bean stalk.  I've tried to show it's height which can get up to seven feet.  It's just starting to bloom.  Will take another photo when it's all the way open and will try to get a human to stand next to it for height comparison.
More beautiful yellow lily plants - I love the color - yellow is such a happy color also found on wildflowers that have struggled to grow but are not giving up.
And finally, grapes.  Grape vines grow wild here hanging from tree branches and creeping on to the roof of the house.  This year, D is training them on wires to cover up a small, old shed and some of his "stuff" that is stored in the back yard.  This picture was taken next to the door of the shed which is now enclosed in kind of a grape vine grotto. 
Whew.  I made it through this post without an Internet go-down.  Hope you enjoyed the pics.  K just went out to pick tomatoes - Watch out for the bees!  Knit on until next time.  Crochet, too.









No comments:

Post a Comment